Primary 4 Book of Mormon Lesson #34: Jesus Christ Teaches the Nephites the Beatitudes
3 Nephi 12-13
I recently had a conversation with a friend about what to do after graduation. I’m working a full time job, but what else? The biggest thing that makes “adulting” weird is that there are no longer small goals to work towards – no more semesters where you get the satisfaction (or dissatisfaction..) of finally getting a good grade after lots of hard work; no more “done” stamps after finishing a long essay. Luckily for my husband and I, adulting isn’t hard because of an inability paying bills or a poor marriage. But for me, it’s the fact that my life is no longer broken up into bite-sized goals by some external force. Even if I set goals for myself, it’s hard to stick with them because I don’t have anyone to be accountable to. So if I want to get better at watercolors, it only lasts for a few days because those paintings go in my drawer, and appear to serve no purpose.
But Primary has totally changed that! I can practice drawing and art and design and being creative – and actually have an outlet for it. I am accountable to the kids in my Primary class. If I don’t work on my Primary lessons, then I’m the one that has to sit through an awful Sunday School, where my kids are literally bouncing off the walls and screaming at the top of their lungs. Primary has helping me figure out my path after university, and has helped me stay closer to my Savior by having goals to work towards weekly.
Goal: Teach children the beatitudes by giving them real life examples of Christ’s teachings. Also learn the names of some of the latter-day prophets.
Supplies you need ahead of time:
- Print off the Beatitudes Memory Cards. Print them double sided and cut them out. Printing them on cardstock will help you from seeing through the paper.
- Take a look at the Prophets and Beatittudes Matching Key so you know which prophets match with each beatitude.
How to play the game:
- Remind the children that we are learning about what Christ taught us when He visited the Nephites; tell them we will be learning about some of His teachings today.
- Have the children turn to 3 Nephi 12:2-3. Ask the children what they learned from this, and explain that since we should give head to the prophets and apostles, we are going to learn stories about prophets that were examples of the principles that Christ taught. These principles are called the beatitudes.
- Lay out the Beatitude Memory cards in a random order with the bees facing up so the children can’t see the beatitudes or prophets on the backs.
- Take a look at the key or print it of, so you will know which prophet matches which beatitude.
- Give each child a turn to flip over two memory cards. From your key sheet, tell the story associated with the prophet they flip over.
- If the beatitude and prophet are not a match, then have the child turn the cards back over and give the next classmate a turn. Continue this until all matches have been made.
- FYI: you will have to tell them the stories associated with each prophet more than once, but hopefully by the end of the class they will recognize the prophet, be able to name the prophet, and tell the story associated with him.
- Beatitudes Memory Cards
- Prophets and Beatittudes Matching Key
- Christ Teaches the Nephites the Beatitudes Work Sheet